Theta Tau was founded on October 15, 1904 by Erich J. Schrader, Elwin L. Vinal, William M. Lewis, and Isaac B. Hanks originally as the “Society of Hammer and Tongs.” The name was changed to Theta Tau in 1911 at the first national convention, although the hammer and tongs remain symbols of the organization. Since 1904, over 35,000 members have been initiated into Theta Tau from all branches of engineering, forming a strong network of students and alumni united by a strong bond of fraternal fellowship.
Who We Are
a second family
In the spring of 2015, freshman Eric Deng noticed the lack of a co-ed professional engineering organizations, despite the existence of co-ed professional organizations for nearly every other school at USC, including business, architecture, and cinematic arts. He thus sought to bring Theta Tau, the oldest and largest fraternity, to USC. Gathering together a group of engineers, Deng met with Theta Tau’s Executive Director, Michael Abraham for an orientation session that would mark the start of USC Theta Tau.
The USC Colony of Theta Tau was officially established on August 30, 2015 with a total of thirteen founding members. Moving quickly, the colony held its first rush and initiated the Alpha Class within the next few months.
USC Theta Tau recently became a chapter in the summer of 2017. We're becoming a bigger family each and every semester! How exciting!